Pentas and hummingbirds

Where are YOUR hummers getting their drinks?
Pentas are a must-have summer annual for me even though I say I only plant perennials!
I love pentas because butterflies love them but lately I am seeing hummingbirds nectaring on them practically all day. They are passing up my nectar feeder and Turks cap and going to the pink penta lanceolota instead.
I also see them on my pink and yellow yuccas (really hesparoles), Texas betony and flame acanthus.
Where are YOUR hummers getting their drinks?

2 Likes

I had some on my black and blue salvias but they arent blooming anymore. In years past they were all over the mimosa tree behind our house but I have only seen one there this year.

Thank you for your comments concerning Pentas.
I will now plan to add pentas to the my backyard flower beds.
Pentas tolerate heat and require only moderate water once established.
An added plus for Pentas - they are NOT a target for rabbits.

2 Likes

Pentas are wonderful summer flowers but be sure to get the old variety, *penta lanceolata
since the hybrids do not offer the nectar that hummers and butterflies want. Also the light pink color seems to be the favorite as attested to by its use in the butterfly house at the Texas Discovery Gardens. In fact I buy as many plants as I can at the TDG because I know they have been lovingly grown and will not have any systemic pesticides.
Pentas are a favorite of the swallowtail butterflies and I have seen a few nectaring on mine but on the whole I have seen very few butterflies this year, much fewer than usual.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for letting me know that rabbits don’t eat pentas! They seem to be eating almost everything else in my garden.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing hummers on Turks Cap and Flame Acanthus.

2 Likes